Join Dr. Karen Snyder, Liu Institute Visiting Fellow, at her talk on modern slavery.
Tuesday, March 6th, 2018
12:00 PM – 1:50 PM
Liu Institute for Global Issues – Multipurpose Room
Light refreshments will be offered.
Disclaimer: Please note that by using this service, your information will be stored on the Eventbrite server, which is located outside Canada. If you do not wish to use this service, please email firstname.lastname@example.org directly to register. Thank you.
About her talk:
There are tens of millions of people in slavery today. Slavery generates about US$150 billion for traffickers each year. Ending modern slavery is part of the Sustainable Development Goals. The human trafficking business affects the global economy, national policies, vulnerable communities and resilient survivors. This presentation will describe the scope of the problem around the world and here in Canada. More research and evaluation is needed to understand the impact of anti- prosecution, protection, and prevention interventions. Opportunities and challenges for policies and programs that touch on international development, governance and security, business corporate supply chains, climate change and public health will be discussed.
Karen Snyder is a Visiting Fellow at the Liu Institute for Global Issues from January 1, 2018 to April 30, 2018. She is a biocultural anthropologist, public health expert and professional evaluator with over 20 years’ experience improving policies and practices in anti-trafficking, health and the environment.
- Council on Foreign Relations Modern Slavery January 2018 interactive
- Freedom Collaborative a platform for information about modern slavery and human trafficking with many NGO members
- Canadian Centre to End Human Trafficking
- Canada’s National Action Plan to End Human Trafficking 2012
- BC’s Action Plan to Combat Human Trafficking 2013-2016
- Sweat and Toil app with information on child labour, by industry and country
- HEAL Trafficking – US based public health anti-trafficking group
- Lisa Kristine humanitarian photographer
- Free the Slaves
- Sustainable Development Goal 8.7 and org
- Global Estimates of Modern Slavery report 2017 from International Labour Organization
- Global List of NGOs working to end modern slavery
- Verite report on 43 commodities
- Polaris Project Typology of Modern Slavery
- Better Evaluation your first stop for anything evaluation related
- Canadian Evaluation Society
This event is co-hosted by the School of Public Policy and Global Affairs, the School of Population and Public Health, and the Global Reporting Centre.